Saturday 11 August 2007

Am I Happy?

I am a simple person who wants only the simplest things in life. At the moment I am happy with my life; i have a wonderful and caring husband, three cute and most wonderful children, my loving parents (who still nag me about my appearance from time to time) and not to forget my beloved sisters. I also have a job that i like very much. But, at present, i don't really enjoy working. Hmmm...i wonder why?...

I am working in the education field which was once an occupation whereby many people wanted to be apart of. It seems that being an educator nowadays is more challenging than 50 years ago. Ahhh...that reminds me...we are celebrating our 50th year of independence this year. MERDEKA!!!(7X). In the modern era, teachers are no longer respected. Teachers can no longer discipline kids without being complained or even sued by parents (ofcourse) Not only that, if teachers tried to educate the students, and the students don't like it... teachers will get threats...nanti cikgu, you jaga haaa...

Back in my father's days (the 1950s and 60s), teachers were 'worshipped'. Parents gave 'green lights' to the teachers to do anything to their children as long as they would turn out to be 'orang'. My father used to tell me that whenever he played truant in school, he would be caned and punished. However bad the punishments were, he never dared to tell my grandmother. Why? It's because he knew that my grandmother would never take his side. Instead, he would be given more punishment.

Nowadays, we don't get that kind of 'respect' from both students and parents. Teachers are reminded not to do anything not even the mildest punishments to the pupils. Teachers can only sit and watch the students fall into the deepest pits and dig their own graves. It is so sad but yet true. If students do not want to listen or learn in class, just let them be. If students sleep in class, let them be. If students speak using vulgar words, let them be. If students, play truant (skip classes or even school), just let them be.

How i wish that things were different...like when i first stepped foot into the education line...i was respected and appreciated by my students... i used to get 'rambutans' during the fruits season...i used to get 'thank yous' for the tiniest deeds that i performed... i used to get gifts (from cloth right down to a toothbrush) for teachers' day. If only i could go back to those days, i would...

Am i happy? Yes, for certain things in life but not in others...being a teacher who is no longer appreciated...

No comments: